For immediate help at any time, please call us on 03300 564456  (24 hour)

Answering your questions

in Awareness Raising, Blog Share this

In the run up to International Women’s Day we asked our supporters what burning questions they had. Our team have responded to these below:

Do you have to go through the police or social services to receive support from the refuge?

No.  You can call us on 03300 564456 to request an assessment to a refuge or you can ring the Live Fear Free helpline on 08088010800 – the staff there will be able to tell you where there is a space and put you in touch.

Do you work with other services that offer support?

Yes. We work with a range of services  - based on the individual needs of the person we’re supporting -  including the police, education, local authority, health professionals, Citizens Advice, legal advice services and many more,  we have been around for a long time and have built relationships with lots of people that can help!

What’s happens to pets if a woman needs to go into refuge? 

Pets would be subject to each individual refuge properties’ rules and policies. We know that concerns about leaving pets behind can be a barrier to considering refuge. Where pets can’t be accommodated with a woman, we have links with local pet fostering services which may be able to provide temporary homes for a pet until their owner is able to be reunited with them. 

I’ve heard women can’t go into refuge with a teenage son, is that true? 

Refuge accommodation can accept males into their properties up to the age of 16 years, but there can be other options available for families who may fall into the category, where they have a male child who is older than this. We have dispersed units which are stand-alone properties within the community, which can accommodate families who have older male children who are fleeing from domestic abuse.  

Are there other options than refuge?

Yes. Cyfannol offers support to people that are living in their own homes.  We are specialised in safety planning to support people who remain living in their homes, this could include tips on how to stay safe when using technology, target hardening which is installing practical items such as window locks, door chains, alarms. 

Cyfannol also have ‘dispersed properties’, which are properties in the community for women who require less intensive support.

Does support continue after women and children have left the refuge?

Yes.  We support people in getting a property that suits their needs.  If that property is in an area that Cyfannol are active in we will provide support, if people move to another area we will make referrals to domestic abuse services in that area.  People do not have to have support after they leave refuge, but the support is there if they need it.

If you have any other questions you’d like to ask our team, please email us at

Share this
Other articles you may like

Cyfannol Women’s Aid at Torfaen Women in Business Event

Children in Need Day

Sound: Creating Safe Spaces for Open Conversations about Relationships

View all

Subscribe to our newsletter today!

For updates, insights and opportunities every month. Don't forget to add to your address book, we don't want to go into your junk inbox.

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Cyfannol Women's Aid:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website: Privacy Policy. We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Close Website