WebsiteCyfannol Women's Aid
Do you want to make a difference to women and children affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence?
If this is something you feel strongly about, we want to hear from you.
Cyfannol Women’s Aid is looking for committed people to join our Board of Trustees.
Cyfannol is an organisation with equality, diversity, and inclusion at its heart. We welcome applications from all areas of the community; male or female. However, we particularly encourage applications from those identifying as having protected characteristics, including members of our BAME community, as well as individuals with disabilities, who are currently under-represented on our Board of Trustees.
We are the largest affiliated Women’s Aid organisation in Wales, covering Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and the wider Gwent area, working to put an end to Violence Against Women, Domestic Abuse & Sexual Violence (VAWDASV).
Our mission is to empower women and children to flourish in a life free from domestic abuse and sexual violence.
If you want to make a positive impact on the lives and well-being of women, read on…..
What does it take to be a Trustee?
Being a Trustee is about bringing your own unique insights, vision and support to our organisation. Everyone has skills and experiences that could be useful – professional skills; direct or indirect experience of domestic abuse or sexual violence; simply knowing our area well.
We are looking for people who:
Are committed to ensuring support is available for victims and survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence, and passionate about the rights of women and children to live and enjoy their lives in a safe environment.
- Believe in, and support, the principles and values which underpin Cyfannol Women’s Aid’s work.
- Want to be involved in a service for women, which deals with the effects of domestic abuse, sexual violence and other forms of violence against women.
- Are able to attend meetings on a regular basis.*
- Are willing to learn about the organisation and attend training and other events to maintain this knowledge.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team.
- Have the ability to learn from others, as well as share one’s own skills.
- Are confident, and capable of expressing opinion, as well as willing to scrutinise the work of the organisation.
- Are able to listen to debate and adhere to a decision, even where one may disagree with the outcome.
- Bring specific skills, knowledge and/or experience to the organisation. We are currently particularly interested in recruiting people with previous Trustee, Treasurer and lived experience, and also those with experience of local or national government and general charity or business skills.
* The Trustee Board meet on the last Thursday of the month, from 5.30pm until approximately 7.30pm. We have a rolling cycle of Full Board and two Sub-Group meetings (meaning that most Trustees attend one meeting two out of every three months). Following Covid restrictions, these meetings have been held remotely, and a blended approach of in-person and on-line meetings will be taken in the future.
In return, you’ll gain the opportunity to:
- Make a difference to women and children who are experiencing, or have previously experienced, domestic abuse and sexual violence
- Develop existing skills
- Acquire new skills
- Gain unique insights and perspectives
- Get involved in new networks
Although this is an unpaid role, expenses will be paid.
If you think this is for you, please contact us for an informal chat or a recruitment pack.
To find out more about the work we do, please visit: www.cyfannol.org.uk